Dedicated to the heritage and preservation of the Peace Arch and the International Park.

The International Peace Arch Association (IPAA) is a privately funded nonprofit organization dedicated to the heritage and preservation of the International Peace Arch and parks.  TAX ID: 91-166720. The IPAA was formerly known as the United States Canada Peace Anniversary Association (USCPAA). Copyright 1998- 2019  International Peace Arch Association All Rights Reserved. 

Summit of the Rocky Mountains to the Gulf of Georgia OREGON TREATY:

On June 15, 1846, the United States and Great Britain signed a treaty settling their dispute
over the Pacific Northwest. The land boundary was fixed at the astronomic 49th parallel of north latitude

from the crest of the Rocky Mountains westward to the Gulf of Georgia. The description
of the water boundary, however, was not well-defined and further friction
between the powers ensued over this part of the boundary.


Although various suggestions were made by both powers to establish a

commission to survey and mark the boundary, no positive action was taken

until the president approved an act of Congress on August 11, 1856 that

provided for appointment of a Commissioner and a chief astronomer and

surveyor to work with similar British counterparts to survey and mark the land

and water boundary of the Pacific Northwest. On February 14, 1857, Archibald

Campbell was appointed as the U.S. Commissioner and Lieutenant John G.

Parke was appointed as the chief astronomer and surveyor for both water and

land boundaries.

For the water portion of the boundary, Great Britain was represented by Captain

James G. Prevost as commissioner and Captain Henry Richards as second

Commissioner with additional duties of chief astronomer and surveyor. The

British appointed a special Commissioner, Colonel John S. Hawkins, and a chief

astronomer and surveyor, Captain Robert W. Haig, to work with Campbell and

Parke in surveying and marking the land portion of the boundary. The work of

the commissions came to an end on May 7, 1869, when the commissioners held

their last meetings in Washington.

THE WORK BEGINS: Campbell and the U.S. commission reached what would

be their base camp in Semiahmoo Bay in June 1857, and met with his British

counterparts for the water boundary, Captains Prevost and Richards, both of

the Royal Navy. They soon disagreed on which channel separated the mainland

and Vancouver Island. This disagreement escalated into what was called the

"Pig War" (over the shooting of a Hudson’s Bay Company pig by an American

settler) in the San Juan Islands and was not settled until 1872 by arbitrator

Kaiser Wilhelm I of Germany.


continue his survey of the water boundary, he decided to begin the land

survey instead of waiting for the British land contingent to arrive. The

Americans worked on their own from June 1857 until Hawkins and the Royal

Engineer’s arrival in June, 1858. The first meeting between the two

Commissioners in August 1858 at Semiahmoo immediately resulted in

disagreement. Hawkins wished to cut out the entire boundary and mark it

with iron monuments. Campbell disagreed because of cost, but did agreed

that the boundary shall be "marked where it crosses streams of any size,

permanent trails or any striking natural features." This marking consisted of